The onX Hunt App includes a wealth of features, and even experienced users may not be aware of all the tips listed below.
Preserve Your Battery and Save Mobile Data
- When not connected to Wi-Fi, your device is using the mobile data network.
- Most cell phone service plans limit the amount of mobile data you are allowed per month and may charge you extra for an overage.
- Using the app in Offline Mode and the device in airplane mode disconnects your device from all Wi-Fi and mobile data networks, preserving your battery life and mobile data considerably.
Click here for instructions on using Offline Maps
Speed Up Performance of the onX Hunt App
- Each app on your device is allowed to use a certain amount of memory.
- This limit is determined by your device and is dependent on a number of factors.
- Any app that approaches or exceeds this limit will have performance issues.
- Disabling Layers and Markups not currently in use reduces the amount of memory being used by the onX Hunt App and improves performance.
Click here for instructions on enabling and disabling Layers
Click here for instructions on enabling and disabling Markups
Occasionally Refresh Your Map Layers Menu
- Whenever you purchase or renew a Membership or an Add-On Layer.
- If a layer is missing from the My Layers Menu and the Layer Library.
- If a layer is enabled but not showing up on the map.
- Your onX Hunt App gets updated to the latest version.
Stay Logged In to Prevent Losing Access
- If you manually log out of the onX Hunt App, you will not be able to log back in unless your device is connected to the internet, even if you have saved Offline maps.
- Closing the onX Hunt App will not log you out. Close the app normally without manually logging out, and you will still be able to access it when you're outside the cell network.
Tips and Tricks
Show Other Users Where You Are
- You can quickly mark your location and share it with any other onX user.
- Use the "Mark My Location" tool to drop a Waypoint at your current location.
- Once the Waypoint has been saved, tap it on the map.
- Tap the "Share" button to send this Waypoint to another user via text message or email.
Click here for instructions on creating Waypoints
Click here for instructions on sharing Waypoints
*NOTE: This feature only works inside the cell network.
Place a Waypoint at an Exact Latitude / Longitude Location
- Search for the latitude / longitude coordinates of the location where you want to place the Waypoint.
- Tap the coordinate pair in the list of Search results to center the map on that location.
- Use the "Add a Waypoint" tool to place a Waypoint in the center of the map.
Click here for instructions on using Search
Click here for instructions on using Map Tools
Back-Up Your Markups (Waypoints, Lines, Shapes and Tracks)
- All of your Waypoints, lines, shapes and tracks are saved to your account, but you can back them up on your own computer just in case.
- You can use this back-up to restore content that is missing or has been accidentally deleted.
Click here for instructions on backing up your Markups
Click here for instructions on restoring your back-up