Long-time users know how to use the onX Hunt App to greatly enhance their outdoor experiences, but if you're just getting started, it can take some time to learn how to use the App to it's full potential. Even seasoned onX Hunt users may not be aware of all the tips in this article.
In this Article:
- Preserve Battery life and Save mobile Data.
- Speed up the App's performance.
- Sync the map after any Changes to your Account.
- Keep the App up-to-date and working correctly.
Tips and Tricks
- Exact waypoint placement.
- Show another user your location.
- Back-up your waypoints, lines, shapes, and tracks.
1. Use Off-Grid Maps to Preserve your Battery and Save Mobile Data.
- When not connected to wi-fi, your device is using the mobile data network.
- Most cell phone service plans limit the amount of mobile data you are allowed per month, and may charge you extra for an overage.
- Using the App in Off-Grid mode, and the device in airplane mode, disconnects your device from all wi-fi and mobile data networks, preserving your battery life considerably.
2. Disable Layers and Mark-ups to Speed up Performance.
- Each App on your device is allowed to use a certain amount of memory.
- This limit is determined by your device, and is dependent on a number of factors.
- Any App that approaches or exceeds this limit will have performance issues.
- Disabling Layers and Markups not currently in use reduces the amount of memory being used by the App.
3. Refreshing the Layers Menu will Sync the Map with any Changes to your Account.
Refresh your Layers Menu every time:
- You purchase or renew a Membership or Add-On Layer.
- You enable or disable a Layer.
- A Layer is missing from the My Layers menu and the Layer Library.
- A Layer is enabled, but not showing up on the map.
- Your App gets updated to the latest version.
4. Turn on automatic App updates on your device to ensure your App continues to work correctly.
- Updates are periodically released for the App to improve performance, fix bugs, and add new features.
- If your App isn't up-to-date, you may experience performance issues.
- Your device has the option to update your onX Hunt App automatically whenever an update is released.
Tips and Tricks
1. Drop a waypoint at an exact GPS location.
- The onX Hunt App has 2 ways to create waypoints:
- Mark my Location: create a waypoint at your current physical location.
- Add a Waypoint: create a waypoint and manually place it anywhere on the map.
- If you have a set of latitude and longitude coordinates that you'd like to mark on the map, it can be difficult to place the waypoint at the exact location.
- To mark the exact location:
- Use the Search feature to search for the latitude / longitude coordinates. Click here for instructions on using Search.
- Tap the coordinates in the list of Search results to center the map on that location.
- Use the "Add a Waypoint" tool to place a waypoint in the center of the map. Click here for instructions on using Map Tools.
2. Use the Share Waypoint tool to show other users where you are.
- You can quickly mark your location and share it with any other onX user.
- Use the "Mark My Location" tool to drop a waypoint at your current location. Click here for instructions on creating waypoints.
- Once the waypoint has been saved, tap it on the map.
- Tap the "Share" button to send this waypoint to another user via text message or email. Click here for instructions on sharing waypoints.
*NOTE: This feature only works inside the cell network.
3. Use the Web Map's "Export" tool too Back-up your waypoints, lines, shapes, and tracks.
- All of your waypoints, lines, shapes, and tracks are saved to your account, but you can back them up on your own computer just in case.
- You can use this back-up to restore content that is missing or has been accidentally deleted.