At higher zoom levels, you will see township lines, range lines and township / range designations.
- Horizontal grey lines - township lines.
- Vertical grey lines - range lines.
- Numbers and letters - township and range designation.
Zoom in to see individual section lines and numbers.
- Dashed grey line - section lines.
- Numbers 1 - 36 - section numbers.
What are Section, Township and Range?
The information on the Section, Township and Range Layer comes from the USGS Public Land Survey System (PLSS).
- Section - A one-square-mile block of land, containing 640 acres, or approximately one thirty-sixth of a township. Due to the curvature of the Earth, sections may occasionally be slightly smaller than one square mile.
- Township - An approximately 6-mile square area of land, containing 36 sections. Also, a horizontal row of townships in the PLSS.
- Range - A vertical column of townships in the PLSS.
Click here for the PLSS Website to learn more about Section, Township and Range.